Tel: +353 1 708 6617
On Sabbatical, February-July 2013
I joined the Department of Geography in January 2008, having previously worked at UCD (2003-2007) and at Nottingham Trent University (2001-2002). I completed my PhD at the University of Kentucky in 2001.
My research interests lie at the intersection of political, cultural and social geography. My current research focuses on migration, in particular contemporary migration to Ireland. Bettina Migge (UCD) and I have completed a 2-year study of recent migration to Ireland, funded by the Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences, and I continue to work on other migration-related research projects. In addition, I also engage in broader debates about the nature and practice of geography, informed by social theory.
Funded Research, Grants and Awards
- Research Development Initiative, Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Science (with Bettina Migge, UCD). “Towards a dynamic approach to research on migration and integration”, November 2008-December 2010.
- Research Project Grant, Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (with Alice Feldman, UCD). “Developing Evidence-Based Policy and Practice in Irish Immigration Research”, September 2006-August 2008.
- Research Project Grant, Immigrant Council of Ireland (with Bettina Migge, Alice Feldman and Steven Loyal, UCD). “Integration in Ireland: A study of four communities”, October 2006-October 2007
- Research Grant, EU Grundtvig. “Winning immigrants as active participants”, October 2006-September 2008.
Recent publications (for a full list, click here [PDF document])
- Gilmartin, M (2013) Ireland, migration late 18th century to present. In I Ness (ed) The Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration. Blackwell. DOI: 10.1002/9781444351071.wbeghm313
- Gilmartin, M and Migge, B (2013) European migrants in Ireland: pathways to integration. European Urban and Regional Studies. DOI: 10.1177.0969776412474583
- Mains, SP, Gilmartin, M, Cullen, D, Mohammad, R, Raghuram, P, Tolia-Kelly, D, Winders, J (2013) Postcolonial migrations. Social & Cultural Geography, 14(2): 131-144. DOI: 10.1080/14649365.2012.753468
- Gilmartin, M (2012) 'The changing face of Irish migration, 2000-2012'. NIRSA Working Paper No. 69. Available online.
- Migge, B and Gilmartin, M (2011) 'Migrants and healthcare: investigating patient mobility in Ireland'. Health & Place, 17(5): 1144-1149.
- Gilmartin, M and Migge, B (2011) 'Working through a recession'. Translocations, 7(1). Available online at http://www.translocations.ie/current_issue.html
- Gilmartin, M and White, A (2011) ‘Interrogating medical tourism: Ireland, abortion and mobility rights’. Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society, 36(2): 275-280.
- Moore, N. and Gilmartin, M (2010) ‘Teaching for better learning: a blended learning pilot project with first year geography undergraduates’ . Journal of Geography in Higher Education. 34(4): 327-344.
- Gallaher, C., Dahlman, C., Gilmartin, M., Mountz, A. and Shirlow, P. (2009) Key Concepts in Political Geography London: Sage. 377pp.
- Gilmartin, M. (2009) 'Border thinking: Rossport, Shell and the Political Geographies of a Gas Pipeline’. Political Geography. 28(5): 274-282.
- Gilmartin, M. (2008) 'Migration, identity and belonging'. Geography Compass. 3. DOI 10.1111/j.1749-8198.2008.00162.x.
- Gilmartin, M., O’Connell, J.A. and Migge, B. (2008) 'Lithuanians in Ireland'. Oikos: Lithuanian Migration and Diaspora Studies, 5(1): 49-62.
- White, A. and Gilmartin, M. (2008) 'Critical geographies of citizenship and belonging in Ireland'. Women’s Studies International Forum, 31(5): 390-399.
- Gilmartin, M. and White, A. (2008) 'Revisiting contemporary Irish migration: new geographies of mobility and belonging'. Irish Geography, 41(2), pp.143-149 (Introduction to and joint editor of a special issue on Ireland and Migration, Irish Geography, 41(2), pp. 143-241).
- Crowley, U., Gilmartin, M. and Kitchin, R. (2008) 'Race and immigration in contemporary Ireland'. In Claire Dwyer and Caroline Bressey (eds) New geographies of race and racism. Ashgate, pp.141-156.
- Migration and Citizenship Research Initiative (2008) Getting On: From Migration to Integration – Chinese, Indian, Lithuanian and Nigerian Migrants’ Experiences in Ireland. Dublin, Immigrant Council of Ireland (with Bettina Migge, Alice Feldman and Steven Loyal). 192pp.
- Gilmartin, M. (2008) 'Dublin: an emerging gateway?' In Lisa Benton-Short and Marie Price (eds) Migrants to the Metropolis: The Rise of Immigrant Gateway Cities, Syracuse University Press: 226-254.
- Gilmartin, M. and Berg, L. (2007) 'Locating postcolonialism'. Area, 39(1): 120-124.
Recent Conference Papers and Presentations (for a full list, click here [PDF document])
- 'Diversity in the midst of crisis.' Invited presentation, 'Living together in diversity' conference, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary. 21-22 May 2012.
- 'Migration nation: mobilities and crisis in Ireland.' Invited presentation, Space and Society Research Group, Geography, University of Dundee, 20 March 2012.
- 'Students as co-creators of the curriculum'. Plenary presentation, 9th Enhancement Themes Conference, Edinburgh, 7-8 March 2012.
- 'Men, masculinities and the crisis of migration'. Annual meeting of the Association of American Geographers, New York, 24-28 February 2012.
- 'Migrants and the Irish recession'. 6th International Conference of Critical Geography, Frankfurt, Germany, 16-20 August 2011 (with Bettina Migge).
- 'Playing away: the GAA and the 'crisis' of emigration'. Conference of Irish Geographers, Limerick, May 2011.
- 'Working through a recession'. NORFACE/UCL Conference on 'Migration: Economic Change, Social Challenge', London, 6-9 April 2011 (with Bettina Migge).
- Migrant Mothers speak of home', ESF Conference on ‘Home, Migration and the City', Linkoping, Sweden, 6-10 August 2010 (with Bettina Migge).
- ‘European migrants in Ireland: the challenge of integration', New Migrations, New Challenges conference, Trinity College Dublin, 30 June-3 July 2010 (with Bettina Migge).
- ‘Critical Geographies and Ireland'. Conference of Irish Geographers, Maynooth, 30 April-2 May 2010 (with Denis Linehan).
- ‘Unbounding migration studies: the intersections of language, space and time', Annual meeting of the Association of American Geographers, Washington DC, 13-18 April 2010 (with Bettina Migge).
- ‘Moving beyond the individual in technological spaces: Integrating classroom and virtual communities of inquiry', Annual meeting of the Association of American Geographers, Washington DC, 13-18 April 2010 (with Niamh Moore).
- “How about we figure a time and get this thing rolling?: Re-negotiating the teaching-learning nexus with first year students". Invited plenary, University of Glasgow Learning and Teaching Conference, Glasgow, April 2009 (with Niamh Moore).
- ‘Migration policy at the edge of Europe’. Nordic Geographers’ Meeting, Turku, Finland, 8-11 June 2009.
- ‘Spectres of belonging: the hidden geographies of UK migrants in Ireland’. Conference of Irish Geographers, Cork, 14-16 May 2009.
- ‘Local lives and national crises: representing Lithuanians in the Irish press’. Annual meeting of the Association of American Geographers, Las Vegas, 22-28 March 2009.
- “Border thinking: Rossport, Shell and the Political Geographies of a Gas Pipeline.” Invited Plenary, Royal Geographical Society/Institute of British Geographers Annual Conference, London, August 2008.
External assignments and public service
- Member of Social Sciences Evaluation Panel, Portuguese Science and Technology Foundation (FCT), 2009-2011.
- Ask the Expert, RGS-IBG, 2010. Available online at: http://www.geographyinthenews.rgs.org/interviews/article/default.aspx?id...
- Recent media contributions: broadcast (RTE 1 (2010), RTE Radio 1 (2010, 2011); print (Irish Times, Irish Examiner, Sunday Business Post 2011)
- Book review editor, Social and Cultural Geography
- Editorial board member, The Geographical Journal
- Editorial board member, Journal of Geography in Higher Education
- Editorial board member, ACME: a journal of critical geographies
- Editorial board member, Political Geography