Tel: 353 1 708 3603
||14.30 - 15.30
||11.30 - 12.30
Shelagh Waddington originally joined the Department in 1986 and is currently a lecturer whose teaching work focuses on the development of geographical understanding and skills. She also is involved in more general aspects of education, working on both the PGDE and PDGHE courses within the university. Her research interests focus on learning and teaching, primarily in geography, but also more widely and on the use of collaborative learning.
- Learning and teaching, particularly in geography
- e-learning and children’s communication
Funded Research, Grants and Awards
- ‘Reflecting on the ‘real world’: Solving problems and developing skills project’
Learning and Teaching Support Network, GEES,
£4, 950 Sterling (S. Waddington, 2005-2006)
- Busschotts, B., Keating, J. Raeside, L. Waddington, S.B. (2007) ‘The VTIE Collaborative Writing Environment’ in Web Information and Systems Technologies I, Springer, Berlin, pp 392-401.
- Waddington, S.B. and Wright, P.N. (2007) ‘Reflecting reflections: facilitating student reflection, Creating and Sustaining an Effective Learning Environment (AISHE Conference Proceedings), www.aishe.org/events/2005-2006/conf2006/proceedings/paper-11.doc
- Waddington, S.B. (2006), Plastic bags: a sustainable change, Teaching Geography, 31(1), 4-17.
- Waddington, S.B. (2006), Kildare County Development Board Education Audit 2006, Kildare County Council, Naas.
- Waddington, S. B. (2004), Empowering Geography students in Large Groups, Planet12: 16-19.
- Waddington, S. B. (2001) 'Working with the community: improving the learning experience for large classes' Journal of Geography in Higher Education, 25(1), 67-82.
- Waddington, S. B. (2000) 'Changing life in the towns of North Kildare', Irish Geography, 33(1), 74-89.
Conference Papers and Public Presentations
- Waddington, S.B., Keating, J.G., Maher, P., Smythe, B.(2008) ‘Equality of participation by children in collaborative writing’ Hawaii International Conference on Education Honolulu, Hawaii (6 January, 2008)
- Waddington, S.B., Wright, P., George, D. (2008) ‘Encouraging Students to reflect – large groups and active engagement’, Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu, Hawaii (5 January, 2008)
- Waddington, S.B. ‘Safer Fieldwork: it makes you think!’ Workshop session for Association of Geography Teachers of Ireland, Dublin West Education Centre, (February, 2007)
- Waddington, S.B., Jin, J., Smyth, B. and Keating, J. ‘Where’s the support? The use of scaffolding to support children’s writing in a virtual learning environment.’
- Poster presentation at Computers and Learning Conference, Trinity College Dublin (March 2007)
- Waddington, S.B. ‘Syllabus change, learning for life and the purposes of education’
- Educational Studies Association of Ireland, Cavan (30 March 2007)
External Assignments and Public Service
- Member, HERODOT (Thematic Network for Geography Teaching and Training)
- Referee for Journal of Geography in Higher Education
- Referee for Teaching Geography